Saturday, November 14, 2009

Don't That Will Help you Create a Successful Business

"I'm just going to wing it!" I know some people who seem to live their lives with this sentence. This became a kind of badge of honor that they tout, almost like they have been cheated the system by avoiding the rules of the game.

I am planning a business trip to Las Vegas next month and I was ready. I have a plane ticket, my hotel reservation and schedule of events. I know that I will have a shuttle service from airport to hotel, internet access and there is no room service and I have planned accordingly. Although I have a pretty good "wings", if necessary, it's not something that I practice regularly. Perhaps this approach has become more alive in assets in my business. Although "Winging it" can work when you're enjoying the day at the beach, this is not recommended when running a business and certainly not the key to start a business.

Women often face unique obstacles but also enjoy extraordinary profits by owning their own business. Like many others, were at home with my kids I was good motivation and reward to start something of my own from home. With Internet serge, tremendous opportunities are now probably not even a choice of one or two generations ago.

I am often asked by other people, especially women, "What's your secret to having a successful business when so many businesses in your area failed to develop?" I think what they are really asking is "Can you tell me how I can have a successful business?" It's always difficult to answer. However, as women, we have the ability to birth babies, not business hard, right? How do I answer usually depends on how much time we should talk. The short answer is that I'm doing a hundred things that are very important to very good. The answer is a long, well, longer. I will explain some of the main things that I recommend avoiding that will help ensure a good start for your business.

Do not go in blind. (AKA "Winging it").

Heavy research field you are interested to be part of before you move forward with a plan start-up

• Find out what's still untapped areas and what needs currently not being met. Talking with others in the industry. Find out if there was a niche in the field who has not dominated or services that are needed or can be repaired.

Study your competition:

• What experience, skills or passions you can contribute to a better or will distinguish you from the current selection? How do your competitors get the news about their products or services? What would you do to advertise or create a buzz about what you offer?

Find the trap and make sure you can handle them:

• Is this industry seasonal? What can you do in the time off to get ahead in the competition next year or what you can offer during this time for the same target audience? Is your product brand into new markets? How you will get the word out so that the people who will benefit by it can find out about it?

Having a backup source of income:

• If you do not rely on instant financial success of your business, you will be able to provide the time needed to grow without feeling compelled to put it too fast in a certain direction or to give up on it immediately.

Do not do it alone.

Find an experienced mentor (better yet, some people)

• If you know someone personally who can do this, great! However, no need for you to personally know a mentor to learn from them - there are many web sites, blogs internet radio show, a book that can do it. Some of my best lessons have been taught from the people I've never met. Schedule this time in a week to learn and improve. Currently, I have a great business books by the toilet, fantastic audio CD in my car stereo and have bookmarked sites list and favorite blogs to check when I have a few minutes of down time. This makes it easy to stay motivated and inspired, because I always had a big matter at hand. Being a woman in business is to your advantage in this area I believe. Women often like to talk and share stories. If you entered the crowd with the rights of women in your business have a gold mine that is a discussion you can learn from. I found that the women in the business that I interact with more than willing to look at the ideas, stories, instructions and tips. We have created a mini group of online entrepreneurs among ourselves and have grown and learned a lot form each other. There are also many online resources specifically directed to women and mothers who are also business owners. A blog I enjoy is dedicated to women entrepreneurs' success http://www.StartupPrincess.com/

Do not unusual.

I enjoyed Seth Godin's take on the "Purple Cow" approach to business and I agree wholeheartedly.

• Stand out! Find an area (or two or three) that you can really wow your audience. Your business makes something worth taking around and people will want to support you. It was a big point of view is that each area and the business itself has a unique opportunity to stand out. I recently know of a website (http://tomsshoes.com) that sells shoes. For every pair of shoes they sell, they donate a pair to someone in need. This is a great business! After visiting this website, I want to buy some shoes. Not because I need them, but because I was excited about the vision of this company. Not only that, but I share with my husband and my friends and now I mention it to you!

Do not stand in the shadows.

Being transparent with your customers and your audience, they will know you and as a result, will begin to trust you.

• If business owners take an active role in working with their customers, these stood out. When I went out to eat, I enjoy seeing the restaurant owner for a walk and talk with their guests. Even if they do not stop and talk to me, it makes me feel important that they take the time to be "among us". Even if you have an online business is still a lot of ways (maybe more) that you can do this. Great things about women is that we are relational. This means that we are naturally more likely to do well in this area - interesting and this work to your advantage.

• If you have a website, making your "about us" as private as possible. Include a photograph of yourself (maybe even with your family). Tell your customers about your passion for the field and why you are so excited. On my website, I not only have a picture of myself with my family, but the photographs of my staff, too. I also have photos of the mothers in the back to create a product that I sell and their stories are included on the product pages in an effort to make our beautiful website possible.

• Stay connected with your customers. Sending a regular newsletter (written by you). This gives you the sound and help continue the ongoing relationship you have started. I recently started using YouTube video downloads on my blog to further connect with customers and allow them to see the personality and identify with me as a person and a mother, not only my business owners.

Do not be stubborn.

If you find that you're going down the road will not be in the right direction, make a change!

• Sometimes you will know that you're headed down the wrong path or sometimes your customers will let you know (hopefully you have been asking for their input and advice). Course corrected normal and expected, not a sign of failure.

Having a business is difficult, there is no sugar coating it! As experience has shown the first few years can often be the most difficult. The good news is that we often live longer than a few years so that we can take some rough starts and still has a good chance to come away with something successful. I challenge you to plan your business, your vacation wing and enjoy a life filled with rich rewards!

No comments: